Friday, April 30, 2010

Curried split pea soup

Well heeellloooo!
It's kinda cold out. :(

I had all these light summery dishes in mind for the blog, seeing as how May is upon us. But New England has been nothing but chilly lately, and some of us have even gotten SNOW!!! Since I get the chills really easily, I decided to forgo the salads and such for some soup! Soup in MAY? Yeah well, work with me here, I'm freeeezing!

This soup is hearty and filling, but it's not overly heavy, due to it being vegetarian and quite healthy. So It warmed me up AND I didn't even get that "food coma of doom" that I sometimes get with steamy hot winter foods. The other great thing about this soup is that it's easy as toast, and can easily be adjusted to suit your taste. I'm posting the vegetarian version here, but you could add ham or sausage, or even chicken stock for more richness in a pinch! This version is quite flavorful however, and perfect with a grilled cheese or some garlic bread. Oooh... garlic bread.


High in fiber, protein, AND cute!

You will need:

16 oz bag of dried split peas
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 Tbsp ginger, minced
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp each olive oil and butter (omit the butter to make this vegan!)
8 cups water

1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander (powder)
2 tsp quality curry powder
1/4 tsp ground clove
2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
good pinch of cinnamon
1 carrot grated, for garnish

Method:

Get your stuff together. Do it.

In your soup pot, saute the onions in the olive oil for 5 min on medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for about 2 minutes more.


Then add in the butter and all the spices. Saute for 2 min. (Look at that naughty butter melting... so fresh!)
Add all the water and stir so the spices aren't floating, then add the peas. Cover and bring to a boil. 

Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. (I don't really have to show this part right?) Let it simmer until you have the consistency you desire. I like mine truly thick and lush, so I let mine simmer for almost 2 hours.

Ladle this luxe creation into bowls, and top with some raw fresh carrot. Cilantro or garlic croutons would also be super yummy.

Mmnnn... Cold? Who's cold? I feel juuuuuust right.

This soup is so warming and spicy, but not in a heat sense. The curry and cinnamon really truly warm you from the insides, and it's so nice to be able to make a full pot of steamy soup from kitchen basics that I always have on hand. I can buy bags of split peas 2 for a dollar - sometimes less if on sale, and it makes a TON. You'll never go back to buying the canned stuff again. If curried flavor isn't your style, you can easily make this traditional with bay leaf, chicken or veggie stock, oregano, and ham! Why not make both?

You pudgy people, you. xoxo

2 comments:

  1. that looks lovely! got inspired and maybe I should do a food post again soon! thanks!

    please, if you like come enter my little giveaway here: http://pinkwater-lily.blogspot.com/2010/05/teeny-tiny-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete