Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spiced lentils with kale

I am so in love with Indian food right now, I think I need a 12 step program. For the last maybe 5 months or so, I have been totally engrossed with researching, and trying out an abundance of recipes, most that have been exceptionally awesome. Today's recipe is no exception. Smooth creamy masoor lentils dotted with bits of spicy flavor, enhanced by mouthy little bits of vitamin rich kale. Ouhhh baby, it's delectable. (my favorite word currently.)

This recipe is easy peasy to make, the only possibly tricky part may be finding the lentils and some of the spices. Thankfully I have a wonderful local Indian grocer in my area (but no Japanese one yet... that's a rant for another day.) But it's possible to order these online if you REALLY find yourself in a fix! This recipe is so simple and one that I make often, so I'm sorta blogging it without even setting up the ingredients and taking pictures. Fail. Plus I was reeeeally freaking hungry - and forgot. I'm sorry!  Anyway let's lentil on!

 You will need:

1 cup masoor dal
3-4 cups water
4 cups kale, washed and chopped roughly (discard those stems!)
2 Tbsp ghee, butter can be used in a pinch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds (seeds! not the powder)
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like the heat)
2 Tbsp garlic ginger paste

from amazon.com
Masoor dal are bright orange lentils. They are sold split (above) or whole. Use split for this recipe.

Method:

Bring lentils, water, salt and turmeric to a boil for 5 minutes. Lower heat to a bare simmer and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes. Lentils should be tender and slightly thick, but hold most of their shape. Add kale in the last 5 minutes of cooking time, so they don't get mushy.

During last 5 minutes, heat ghee or butter in a small pan till hot. Add the cumin and mustard seeds, (they will splutter a little, be careful!) and cook them over medium heat till fragrant, about 3 minutes. Don't burn them!!!! Add the rest of the spices and fry another 2 minutes.

Add your mixture to the hot lentils and stir well. Simmer for a couple minutes and serve hot. 

This is soooo totally yummo and healthy too! I serve this either with brown rice, quinoa, or naan if I'm feeling naughty. I'm usually feeling naughty but for the sake of healthiness I went with some basmati rice.

Ommmggggg om nom nommm.... trust me this is comfort food at its top. Spicy, creamy, nommy lentils. I've made this for many a lentil hater and it has always gone over wonderfully. It's filling and warming and won't leave you hungry 2 hours later. I promise! It's even better put in the fridge and reheated the next day. Add a smidge of liquid if you reheat, as it will be thiiiiccckkk after being in the fridge.

Happy eating! xo

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good! When are you going to make me some?

    -B

    ReplyDelete