Thursday, April 15, 2010

Make it work!!!!

Let's face it. Fat girls have problems being fashionable. Even as a chubster I have felt the woes of being pushed out of hip juniors clothes, only to end up staring slack-eyed and gaunt at the women's selection of oversize blouses that look like my aunt tess would wear. Sad face.

Anytime any of my friends would want to wander into H&M, Forever 21 or Urban Outfitters, I'd just weave my way QUICKLY to the accessories, since I knew without a doubt that I'd be safe. No disappointments, lots of trinkets to be bought. But my mind was always on clothes. Sure a scarf here, maybe some leggings there. But a girl has to have more in her wardrobe than leggings and those damn ugly aunt tessie blouses! What do you do when you're shopping in a fabulous store that's sizes only go up to about a 12, and you are a solid 16?

MAKE IT WORK.
(insert crazy fanfare and ticker tape parade)

Thanks to one of my favooooorite fashion blogs ever, (Young, Fat & Fabulous) I, yes I PEOPLE, got up the courage to mosey my chubby fanny on into Forever 21, H&M and so forth, WITHOUT FEAR! In her post "Make it Work" (see the pattern developing?) She explains how it's completely ok to break away from the size chart, try on things you normally wouldn't, and make what you like work for you!!!! Skeptical? So was I. In fact I was downright pooping my pants.


Thankfully tunic tees and oversize are IN right now. So chubby chicks, get your hineys going! I sucked up my fear of being judged and grabbed any and everything I thought looked cute. Nearly every single thing I tried on FIT in some way - most in ways I could totally work with! I scooped up two tee shirt dresses and belted them as tunics. I also picked up some flowy tanks with ties and frills.. In MEDIUM. Medium??? I haven't worn a single size M since my high school days people! (fanfare takes over yet again) They fit as fitted shirts but SO WHAT? They are so cute and really fashion forward, fitted or loose!

Ok I got leggings of course, TONS of red accessories and some wicked stretchy belts, but no jeans or pants. My booty was NOT getting into them without a fight, and I didn't want to rip anything. But small steps! If I hadn't read Gabi's post, I'd never have mustered up the courage to just GO and do it. Like she says, it will be a bit discouraging at first. And don't you DARE worry about what the sales girls think. (they just want to make sales anyway!) Thank you so much Gabi!

Check out my haul!
FRIIILLLSS! Oh, and that's a tank bottom left!!! Not a thong. Perverts.

Oh man I am so in love with RED. These shoes were 7 bucks! (Couldn't resist the toggle on the frilly black belt either..) And here's the cutest tank, size MEDIUM!!!!! *gets trampled by that damn fanfare parade again*

Man!! This is truly great for my fashion sense (hah! lack thereof...) but bad for my wallet. All in all it's worth it to check out Gabi's blog for expert fashion advice and stay tuned here to see how I do with it!!! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment